POLAR BEARS AND NORTHERN LIGHTS
Helicopter from the foothills of one of Canada’s remotest mountain ranges to see polar bears and the Northern Lights. Unwind in safari inspired luxury Arctic Igloo Dome base camp.
WHAT WE LOVE
- Journey by snowmobile and qamutiq, a traditional Inuit sled, to Base Camp near the remote Torngat Mountains
- Safari style luxury Arctic Igloo Dome base camp directly at the foothills of the Torngat Mountains
- Helicopter day trip over sea ice floe edge to see polar bears and cubs and the rare Torngat Caribou herd
- Daily snowmobile sorties into the wild in search of polar bears, arctic fox, and baby seals
- Experience the real Arctic, up close and fully escorted, in partnership with the most knowledgeable Inuit guides
- Prime viewing band where the most intense and reliable Northern Lights occur
- Accommodations: 2 nights Montreal hotel, 2 nights Kangiqsualujjuaq hotel, 5 nights in the upscale Arctic safari-style camp
- All meals during expedition including those in Kangiqsualujjuaq
- Flights from Montreal to Kangiqsualujjuaq
- All activities as listed in itinerary including 1 day Helicopter sortie
- Highly qualified Inuit guides and expedition leaders
WHAT TO KNOW
- Late March - Early April is the ideal time for this trip
- During these months the average temperatures are 20 - 25 degrees Fahrenheit
- The weather will play a huge factor in the activities and wildlife sightings of each day
HOW TO GET THERE
Flights are available to Montreal (YUL) from major U.S. and Canadian cities on a variety of carriers. Travelers will then take a 2.5 hour flight to Kuujjuaq (YVP) and then a 40 minute flight to Kangiqsualujjuaq (XGR) in the arctic circle. Base Camp transfer by snowmobile and qamutiq, a traditional Inuit sled.
DAY 1: Arrival
Arrive in Montreal and check into your hotel.
DAY 2: JOURNEY TO ARCTIC CIRCLE
Early morning departure for Kangiqsuallujjuaq. Overnight at local hotel.
DAY 3: JOURNEY TO BASE CAMP
From town travel by snowmobile and qamutiq, a traditional Inuit sled. Each qamutiq has two sheltered seats on the back that look like La-Z-Boy chairs on shock absorbers. The journey will take you over lakes, beyond the tree-line, past steep mountains and vertical walls of ice and to the sea coast - about a 4 hour journey. Along the way see arctic fox and polar bears. Arrive at the luxury base camp set directly in the foothills of the Torngat Mountains. Overnight at Base Camp.
Days 4-7: INTO THE WILD
On one of the days, you will take a helicopter sortie in search of polar bears and the torngat caribou herd. Fly over the sea ice floe where the ice meets open water. Land on a small islands and observe polar bears up close. Spot countless polar bears along the way, as well as the rare Torngat Caribou herd only accessible by helicopter.
On the remaining expedition days, you will take daily polar bear sorties via snowmobile and cabriolet sleds onto the sea ice. You will be directly in the midst of roaming polar bear country. There are countless polar bear tracks criss-crossing the sea ice and evidence of bears in the area. From the curious young bears to mothers with cubs to giant alpha males, there are all types of polar bears to observe. You will have multiple opportunities to see the Northern Lights. Base Camp is situated directly in the prime lights viewing band where the most intense and reliable Northern Lights occur. Overnight at Base Camp.
Day 8: DEPARTURE
Morning flight through Kuujjuaq to Montreal. Overnight in Montreal.