POLAR BEAR CUB SAFARI
Behold the only place in the world to watch mother polar bears emerge from their dens with newborn cubs - virtually guaranteed. Lodge based expedition gets you rare access to this unique opportunity.
WHAT WE LOVE
- Witness newborn polar bear cubs emerge from their den, from as close as 100 meters
- Explore the world’s largest polar bear denning area with excellent lodge guides
- Rare access that only a few hundred people in the world have experienced
- See ptarmigan, arctic foxes, caribou herds and wolves
- Nighttime viewing of the magical Northern Lights
- Overnight at a refurbished navy communications base, on top of a remote ridge
- Unique tracked vehicles offer comfortable access to polar bear denning habitats
- 2 nights Winnipeg hotel, 7 nights Wilderness Lodge
- All meals and excursions from Lodge including highly qualified guides
- All transportation for the trip duration beginning in Churchill
- Return train ride from Churchill to Chesnaye (and transfers from airport)
WHAT TO KNOW
- March is the ideal time for this trip - 11 hours of daylight and average temperatures ranging from -40 to -4 degrees Fahrenheit
- The weather will play a huge factor in wildlife sightings of each day
- The Lodge is a refurbished navy communications base, on top of a remote ridge in the tundra. There are some rooms available as singles, but most rooms are intended for higher occupancy.
HOW TO GET THERE
Flights are available to Winnipeg (YWG) from major U.S. and Canadian cities on a variety of carriers. Travelers will then take a flight to Churchill (YYQ). The final leg of the trip includes a 2 hour train transfer to Chesnaye. Travelers will then be transferred to the Lodge by specialty tracked vehicles.
DAY 1: ARRIVE IN WINNIPEG, CANADA
Arrive in Winnipeg, Canada and transfer to your hotel, a short walk from the airport. Your expedition leader will meet you at the hotel.
DAY 2: JOURNEY TO THE LODGE
Meet in the morning for your flight to Churchill. Explore Churchill while you wait for the evening train departure for Chesnaye. The train ride is approximately 2 hours. At Chesnaye, disembark and transfer to waiting tracked vehicles for the 30 minute ride to the Lodge. Arrive at the Lodge around 10pm. Lodge is a refurbished navy communications base, on top of a remote ridge in the tundra.
DAYS 3-8: POLAR CUB SAFARI DAILY SORTIES
After breakfast each day, depart in heated tracked vehicles in search of polar bear dens newborn cubs. Scouts will go ahead and identify dens with cubs. Patience will be rewarded with anywhere from 1 to 3 newly born cubs with their mother polar bear at the mouth of a den. After dinner, look at the night sky and see if the stunning northern lights are shimmering. Additional wildlife viewing opportunities include ptarmigan, arctic foxes, caribou herds and wolves.
Day 9: DEPARTURE
Leave early in the morning for the train ride back to Churchill, and connect to an afternoon flight to Winnipeg. Overnight in Winnipeg.