Mozambique's Private Islands & Pristine Beaches - “Castaway Chic”
Walk the pristine white sandy beaches of Mozambique's virgin Indian Ocean coastline. Dive, snorkel, and fish the beautiful clear waters, teeming with fish, coral, dolphins, humpback whales, giant turtles, and manta rays. Take lunch alfresco on a deserted beach and finish off with a lazy afternoon on a sunset dhow sailboat. Mozambique's beaches are among the best - barefoot luxury at its finest with excellent food and wine. Choose from a range of activities, from diving one of the world’s top ten dive sites, Neptune’s Arm, to game fishing, spectacular snorkeling, kayaking and sailing. Alternatively, explore inland with a resident World Wildlife Fund guide and discover the on-going conservation programs, or simply relax, do nothing, and enjoy the breathtaking ocean views and a range of spa treatments from the comfort of your own villa. You don't need to leave the African continent to have an unforgettable luxury aquatic safari.
WHAT WE LOVE
- Mozambique's pristine white sandy beaches
- Abundant sea life including dolphins, whale sharks, humpback whales, giant turtles, and bumphead parrotfish
- One of the world’s top ten dive sites
- Horseback riding bareback in the ocean
- Exceptional blue water game fishing including marlin, kingfish, wahoo and sailfish
- Remote wilderness, and true barefoot high-end private island luxury experience
- Snorkeling, sailing and kayaking lagoon nature trails
- Largest turtle conservation operation in East Africa
- Conservation in partnership with renowned World Wildlife Fund
- Combines well with Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana and Zambia
REST & REJUVENATE
- Azura, Bazaruto Archipelago: Located in the Bazaruto Marine National Park, the Azura lodge offers the perfect blend of luxury and nature. Azura's dedication to conservation has led way to an incredibly pristine environment, great diving and snorkeling and a naturally inspired organic boutique resort. All villas are individually designed with locally sourced wooden beams and traditional artwork and each one features an exquisite private infinity pool. Great service goes without being said for all of our recommended properties but the hospitality at Azura is particularly personalized and almost entirely provided by locals. Azura certainly stays true to both its incredible environment and people and the wholesomeness is felt throughout.
- Benguerra, Bazaruto Archipelago: Be among one of the first to enjoy the brand new &Beyond Benguerra Island Lodge, re-opening June 1st 2015 following an extensive refurbishment and re-design that stunningly reflects both the Island's African and Portuguese heritage. While the island is fringed with golden sandy beaches, its interior is a lush patchwork of forest, wetlands and fresh water lakes. Take advantage of premier diving sites teeming with marine life and Africa's only population of rare dugong, some of the world's best catch-and-release deep sea fishing and romantic horseback riding on the beach.
- Vamizi, Quirimbas Archipelago: The purest example of barefoot luxury. Recognised as one of Africa's finest beach lodges, Vamizi is one of the few places on the African continent that genuinely competes with the world's top beach destinations. The lodge itself is stunning and with only 13 villas spread across a 7 km distance of private pristine beach, you'll truly feel as though you're on your very own island. Extravagant rooms paired with excellent hospitality, fine dining, unrivaled fresh sushi and world-class scuba diving make for the most exclusive, luxurious and rejuvenating experience.
- White Pearl, Ponta Mamoli: Young, sexy, modern and elegantly simple. Nestled in a sheltered bay on Mozambique's Lagoon Coast, the White Pearl features endless untouched white sands, a striking beach bar, over-sized day beds and 21 luxurious suites. So put your feet up, sip on your favorite summer cocktails and sunbathe by the soothing blue waters of the breathtaking Indian Ocean.
- Marlin, Bazaruto Archipelago: The Marlin is located on the southwest shore of Mozambique's Benguerra Island and hosts what is considered one of the finest beaches in the world. The lodge features 21 chalets built on stilts and an eclectic range of beach activities anywhere from ocean-ski paddling, scuba diving, private picnics, windsurfing and Hobie Cat sailing. Every night, experienced chefs prepare a gourmet selection of fresh seafood over open fire on the beach.
- Santorini, Bazaruto Archipelago: Choose from 1 villa or 6 luxury suites. We particularly recommend the villa, the one and only of its kind, resembling a Grecian mansion built atop a cliff with mindblowing views of the mainland coastal town of Vilanculos and fronted by its own stretch of beach. The villa features 5 sea-fronting en-suite bedrooms, each with private balconies, a multifaceted living area, library, TV room, ocean-facing deck with martini pool, wind-protected courtyard pool, dining spaces and quite a bit more. For large groups of 10-14, the villa is truly extraordinary to take private.
WHAT TO KNOW
- The ideal time to visit Mozambique's beaches is from April to November, rains from mid-January through February
- Luggage restriction of 33 lbs per person - must be packed into soft bags
- Turtle nesting season kicks off in November and continues into the New Year, with a peak season often times in March.
- Whale shark sightings are common from December to February
- Scheduled connecting flights are available to Pemba from Johannesburg, South Africa. Private charter transfer from Pemba operated by Vamizi Island, private charter transfer from Dar es Salaam, Tanzania also available.
MORE ON MOZAMBIQUE
- Top 10 Romantic Lodges
- Top 10 African Family Safari Lodges
- Scuba Diving in Africa
- Top Natural Wonders of Africa
- Under African Skies
- Top Luxury Safari Spots for Birding