GORILLA TRACKING IN RWANDA
Imagine sitting with dozens of mountain gorillas so close they could be in your living room. Watch them eat giant stalks of bamboo, climb cliffs and curl up for naps. Marvel as the baby gorillas chase each other and play fight like human children. These gentle giants are mainly herbivores living in the rainforest among extinct volcanoes. Despite their docile nature, they can reach heights of over 6 feet and weigh in excess of 600 pounds. With only around 800 mountain gorillas left in the world, seeing them in the wild is something only a few people will ever have the chance to experience.
WHAT WE LOVE
- Spending time with the mountain gorillas in the volcanoes of Rwanda is simply one of the most thrilling wildlife experiences on the planet
- Visiting the beautiful lakes in the region – Kivu, Bulera, Ruhondo, and Karago
- Troops of the rare golden monkeys
- The local bustling agricultural market town of Ruhengeri and the nearby lava formations
- The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund Project
- 3 nights hotel and full board including VAT
- 2 full days spent gorilla tracking ($1,500 in permits included)
- Expert guides & trackers
WHAT TO KNOW
- Rwanda today is a safe, peaceful, and welcoming country and you will feel safe with the best expert guides and park rangers that accompany you on your gorilla safari
- Half of the world’s remaining wild mountain gorillas (eight families) reside on the extinct volcanoes and beautiful dense misty forest of Parc National des Volcans, Rwanda
- The climate is moist and temperate year-round, making this trip available year-round
- Reasonable fitness is required for gorilla tracking- each trek is 2-5 hours
- Children under the age of 15 years are not permitted to gorilla trek, but are welcome at the lodges
- Easily combines with safaris in the Maasai Mara (Kenya) or the Serengeti (Tanzania)
- Prices start at $3,500 per person
- Not included: Flights to/from Rwanda, car rental, hotel transfer, travel insurance
- Gorilla permits must be purchased at time of booking
HOW TO GET THERE
There are international direct flights to Kigali, Rwanda from numerous cities, most notably Amsterdam, Brussels, Johannesburg, Dubai, Nairobi, and Kilimanjaro. It is a 2 hour scenic drive from Kigali to the lodges. The lodges are a short drive from the entrance to the Parc National des Volcans, where you will start your gorilla tracking.
Day 1 Kigali: Parc National des Volcans
Arrive in Kigali, Rwanda. Scenic 2 hour private transfer to the lodges though the beautiful terraced hillsides that characterize much of Rwanda’s landscape. On arrival, a late lunch will be served with scenic vistas of the Virunga Volcanoes. Overnight at Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge or Virunga Lodge.
Day 2: Parc National des Volcans
After an early breakfast, depart for a day of gorilla tracking in the forested slopes of Parc National des Volcans. Track a specific gorilla family through the rainforest. Spend time observing the gorilla family up close, watching them climb, play, nap and eat. After, you may enjoy an afternoon guided bird walk or watch the vivacious Intore Dancers. Overnight at Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge or Virunga Lodge.
Day 3: Parc National des Volcans
After an early breakfast, depart for a second day of gorilla tracking. Track a second gorilla family and spend time observing them in their natural habitat. In the afternoon, you can simply relax, take a drive to the nearby bustling market town of Ruhengeri, or visit the beautiful lakes of Kivu, Bulera, Ruhondo, or Karago. There are also the cultural and conservation projects to be visited. Return to the lodge for dinner. Overnight at Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge or Virunga Lodge.
Day 4: Ruhengeri - Kigali
After breakfast, depart for Kigali in time for your return flight. Prior to your flight, take a tour of Kigali, including a visit to the bustling market, a pottery project, and to see the genocide memorial.
MORE ON RWANDA
- What to Pack for a Gorilla Tracking Safari
- Luxury Safaris for Everyone
- Top 5 Thrilling African Safaris
- 25 Signature Experiences by Epic Road
- Epic Road's Most Romantic Honeymoon Safaris
- Top Natural Wonders of Africa